Juneteenth is a special time for so many. In collaboration with other Black Chefs and Bloggers, Chef Curl Ardee is joining with a recipe you can bring to the cookout- her honey and buttermilk cornbread. From scratch, this recipe will have the people around your dinner table wondering how you made it so special.
See below for a list of other recipes by Black Chefs and Food Bloggers alike who share in celebrating the richness of Juneteenth and use the hashtag #juneteenthcookout on social media for more!
Enjoy a 19% discount on all apparel and single bottles of Chef Curl Ardee Seasonings with code JUNETEENTH at checkout. Ends June 27th.
Honey and Buttermilk Cornbread
- 1 and 1/2 cup of Cornmeal
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1/2 cup of Sugar
- 4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp of Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup of Butter
- 2 cups of Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of Honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients- cornmeal , flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Melt half of the butter and add to mixture.
- Add cracked egg, buttermilk, and half of the honey to mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Pour cornbread batter into lightly oiled cast ironed skillet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and spread the remaining butter and honey on the top of the cornbread.
Enjoy these recipes as well by other Black Chefs and Food Bloggers!
Chenee Today - Lemon Icebox Pie
Christy Irene - Crawfish Recipes
Collards are the Old Kale - Guaymas Shrimp
Confessions of a Clean Foodie - Mint Peach Spritzer
Cooking to a T - Jamaican Beef Patties
Cooks with Soul - Original BBQ in a Jar
Dash of Jazz - Pineapple Pound Cake
Dish it with Tisha - Honey Jerk Shrimp
DMR Fine Foods - Blackberry Ginger Soda
Thank you for sharing this recipe for Juneteenth, my parents absolutely LOVED this recipe. Definitely will be making more of this cornbread in the future it was delicious :)
This was my first time ever making cornbread and I’m so glad to have done it with this recipe. My ancestors would be proud! Thank you for sharing a new staple in my home.
This is the best cornbread I’ve ever had. Thanks to The Washington Post for publishing the Juneteenth Cookout and sharing this recipe. There’s much to must learn and much to change in our country. Thank you.
What size pan?
What size cast iron skillet should I use?